Skip to main content

LORAC Cosmetic

The Lipstick Page Forums New Releases Blog
LORAC cosmetics: Carol's story




LORAC COSMETICS
Created by celebrity makeup artist, Carol Shaw




CAROL'S STORY

You might say that I was born into the beauty business. My father was a salon owner/hair dresser and for a time, my mother was a manicurist in Los Angeles, where I was raised. As a teenager, my own struggle with skin problems left me searching for my place in the world.

At seventeen I received a graduation present from my aunt: a makeover at a Beverly Hills salon. It was this makeover that literally changed my life. I'll never forget how incredible the makeup artist made me feel and how beautiful I looked. I walked in an awkward teenager, and walked out feeling like Margeaux Hemmingway. I remember thinking, "This is it. This is what I want to do."

That single life-altering experience led me first to beauty school at the age of nineteen and then to my first job, as fate would have it, at the very salon where I had received my first unforgettable makeover. I was later hired at José Eber, the famous Beverly Hills salon, where at the time, celebrities went to have their hair and makeup done.

From salon work, I moved on to fashion, doing photo shoots and editorial layouts. It was particularly challenging in the beginning to get a job, but with perseverance, I began to make a name for myself. During my twenty years of doing makeup, I have had the opportunity to work with some of the most prestigious photographers in the business such as Herb Ritts, Patrick Demarchelier, Annie Leibovitz and Matthew Rolston, among others. I am proud that my work has appeared on the covers of Vogue, Vanity Fair, Glamour, Mademoiselle, Allure, Talk, Elle, Jane, and many other magazines. I have also had the pleasure of working regularly with top models such as Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington, and numerous others.

After doing makeup for many years, I found that many of my clients had the same complaints about skin care and makeup that I had; too many of the products irritated the skin, felt and looked artificial, and just didn't last. That is why I created LORAC.


LORAC (Carol spelled backwards!)

The LORAC collection of skincare and makeup was something that just made sense to me. Having always had sensitive skin myself, my goal was to develop skin care products that were made from the purest, mildest ingredients possible, and that I felt comfortable using on my clients and myself.

In 1990 LORAC (Carol spelled backwards) was born. It took me three years alone to develop the ten shades of LORAC Oil-Free Makeup, which first launched the LORAC line. My intentions were for LORAC to be an oil-free, fragrance-free, simple approach to clean, natural beauty that would be effective and easy for women to use.

In 1993, the LORAC skin care collection launched first at Fred Segal. The LORAC skin care line consisted of 10 shades of Oil-Free Makeup, 4 shades of Coverup, 3 shades of loose Powder, Oil-Free Face Wash, Alcohol-Free Toner and Oil-Free Moisturizer.

Two years after my skin care line launched I introduced my color collection. Like the skin care, my color line was developed upon the guidelines of purity and efficacy. The LORAC difference is that it began as a treatment-based skin care line, and although color has been added, LORAC remains first and foremost, a skin care line.

One of the first colors I formulated was created with Farrah Fawcett in mind. Farrah had a special pink lipstick that she loved but that had been discontinued. When I started creating color for my line, one of the first colors I formulated was a pink that I thought she would like. The next time I worked with her, I used the color on her and she loved it. We began to joke that I should call it "Farrah", and ultimately, with her blessing, I did just that.

Makeup should look like you're not wearing any at all; that is why I have chosen a unique blend of the purest ingredients to create an oil-free, fragrance-free formula designed for all skin types. I am constantly thinking about, working on and creating new products for myself, and women around the world.

Personally and professionally, I have seen the transforming power of makeup. It's amazing how little it takes, and how easy it is to look great. My LORAC products were designed to make every woman look and feel like a star.
 
I really love LORAC Eye Shadow Palettes...
Makeup By: Lashundra Easton/ http://www.shunglam.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Wives Earrings

Evelyn Lozada rocks poparazzis best-Basketball wives earrings! If you’re a fan of the VH1 reality show, “Basketball Wives”, then you already have peeped that all of the ladies in the cast have a serious earring game. I’ve had several clients ask me where to find these earrings. Glam Doll Fas'SHUN Boutique. I missed the show last week. But what I came up with is one of the main pair of earrings that the ladies wear are by a company called “Poparazzi”. Many celebrities have been seen in these earrings in magazines, concerts and red-carpet affairs. I also found a few other companies that have similar looks. Now Basketball Wife star, Evelyn, also has her own line of butterfly earrings that she sells at her shoe boutique, “Dulce”, in Miami. So if you’re interested in these earrings ladies, snatch them up now. If you not in Miami and lives in Memphis, TN go to http://www.shunglam.com

Burt’s Bee’s Sensitive Night Cream

Burt’s Bee’s Sensitive Night Cream Review Skin care is something super important if you want to A. Have great skin and B. Have great makeup; so it makes sense to use a product which benefits the skin. After all, every one want’s to look great with and without the help of makeup. Burt’s Bee’s claims that there sensitive night cream provides moisture to the skin for 8 hours without causing redness or irritation. Does it do that? Well sort of… When I use a moisturiser or more specifically a night cream I like to use something that absorbs into the skin almost instantly so I don’t have to worry about product transferring onto pillows, clothing, etc and that’s one thing that I truly love about this product. It provides moisture almost instantly and absorbs into the skin as quick as you can say night cream. It doesn’t leave any residue and unlike other moisturisers I’ve tried it doesn’t spread unevenly. The scent of this is lovely and subtle, too often I’ve tried a moisturiser only to f

Eye Makeup Removal

Back to the basics - Eye makeup removal. Eye makeup is a great way to enhance your whole face and make you look pulled together in the blink of the eye; but sometimes removing it can be time consuming and whilst it may be tempting to partially do it or even worse not do it at all some of us just may need a reminder as to why we need to be removing it. - Sleeping with your eye makeup on can cause eye infections such as Styes and Pink Eye/Conjunctivitis - Eye makeup can be substantially irritating to the eyes throughout the day & especially at night! - If all traces of eye makeup have not been removed the next time you apply product to your eyes you risk contamination of your favourite products. - Any treatments or creams you apply to your eye area will not absorb properly and work to there full potential. - Some mascaras and eyeliners contain ingredients such as magnesium which can cause eye lashes to fall out over night wearing of cosmetics increases this risk. - Most people su